If you are (or know) a poet in Hampshire, Hampden, Franklin or Berkshire counties of western Massachusetts consider this important opportunity from Hedgerow Books
Hedgerow Books/ Levellers Press 71 South Pleasant Street Amherst, MA 01002 http://www.levellerspress.com
~ Submission Guidelines ~
Hedgerow Books, the poetry imprint of Levellers Press, seeks to promote literary voices from the culturally rich environment of Western Massachusetts.
Poets who have full-length poetry manuscripts completed (45-80 pages), and who meet the eligibility outlined below, are invited to submit samples of their work during our Open Reading Period: August 15 – October 15, 2011.
- Entrants must live or work in one of the four counties of Western Massachusetts: Hampshire, Hampden, Franklin or Berkshire counties of Western Massachusetts.
- Translations, previously published books, and self-published books are not eligible.
- Individual poems in the manuscript may have been published previously in journals, anthologies, or chapbooks of less than 30 pages (or which contains less than 30% of the current manuscript).
- Previous book publication will not be a criterion for selection.
- Only online submissions will be accepted.
- During the open reading period (August 15-October 15), a diverse group of readers will consider 10-page sample manuscripts (anonymously, i.e. no names attached).
- By December 1, a small group of finalists will be invited to submit full manuscripts.
- A final decision will be announced on our website by January 15, 2012.
- There is no submission fee, and all submissions that adhere to the guidelines will be considered, but only one submission per person, please.
How to Submit
- Submissions must be sent via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: “Poetry Sample Submission”
- Submissions must consist of two separate attachments (word doc or RTF only), to facilitate the blind reading process
- Poet Info Attachment – use your name as the filename of this document and include:
- your name, postal address, e-mail address, and title of your full manuscript
- a short description of your full manuscript, including the number of pages
- a brief biography
- a list of the titles of the poems in your sample
- Sample Poems Attachment – use your ms. title as the filename of this doc and include:
- Title page: manuscript title and list of titles of each poem in the document
- A selection of up to 10 poems, not to exceed 10 pages in total
- Nowhere on this sample packet of poems should your name appear.
- Your manuscript title should appear as a header of each page.
Submissions must be received by October 15, 2011.
We are excited to read your work!